Saturday, October 15, 2022

Back Home!

It was refreshing to see at the comments on last week’s post where readers commented on their own hunting adventures or the memories of hunting adventures of their family members. It seems that I am the only hunter out here in the blogosphere (well, at least my blogosphere world). I am sometimes hesitant to write about it for fear of getting some negative comments. It hasn’t happened yet, but I am sure it will. In today's polarizing society it is bound to happen. I like to think I am fairly tolerant of other people’s views on a variety of topics and try not to judge. I say ‘try’ as I am probably only successful 80% of the time.

I am proud to say that Barb and I have friends that are both hunters and non-hunters, friends that are politically right of center and left of center, friends that are pro-vax and those that are anti-vax, friends that go to church every week and others who have not gone for years. Heck, we are even friends with an arthritic creature with a bad back, hip, and hands! If you listen to the Mainstream Media, you would think that that is impossible in this day and age. I like to believe 80% of the population is just a little right and left of center on all these issues with the remaining 20% split equally on what I call the ‘extreme’ sides. The MSM’s main goal is to scare their audience by sensationalizing that 20%, giving the impression that the entire country is solidly divided on these issues.  

Hunting wise I respect people’s opinions on the sport, it is not for everyone. But I would also argue those that think all hunting should be banned yet still eat meat are somewhat hypocritical. Politically, I focus more on my stance on issues rather than the individuals running. The individuals come and go, the issues are here to stay. That said, I am hoping that neither of the leading candidates on each side run again, it is time for some new blood.

Okay, off my soapbox. When I last left you, it was the day before pheasant opener and was anxiously awaiting our morning hunt. Well, after walking over 6 miles on that day, I had 0 pheasants to show for it. And we are not talking 6 miles of easy walking, we are talking 6 miles of high stepping through tall weeds and cattails. I did get two shots off at one bird but the only thing I brought home with me from that hunt was shooting pains from my hip to my ankle that to date have not gone away. Ibuprofen is my friend.   

The ducks did cooperate for an evening hunt however. Bob and I were joined by a friend of his, Warren, who came out from Minnesota for a few days. Warren is 71, hunted all day with us for pheasants and went out again duck hunting with us in the evening. Bob’s license was expired but Warren and I were able to get our 6 birds each. When you buy a nonresident small game or waterfowl license in North Dakota it is not valid for the entire season, you get 2 seven-day periods for $125. Well, $250 as waterfowl and small game are two different licenses. I got my monies worth out of the waterfowl license so I think I am done duck hunting and will concentrate on the pheasants my last few days here. It could not been a more perfect evening for my last duck hunt of the year. Looking to the east, the moon was rising.....

Looking to the west the sun was setting as Bob and Warren were walking up from the slough. 

Day 2 of pheasant season was much of the same. Chris, Bob, Warren and I went out again walking 6 more miles. I missed another easy shot at a crossing rooster, this time getting 3 shots off before it disappeared over the horizon. All those great shots I made on ducks that boosted my ego are quickly a memory as these pheasant demoralize me. Warren ended up getting a Hungarian Partridge out of a covey of 8 that got up. Then finally I made a passing shot on a rooster that flushed on my right, heading left. Those were the only two birds we got that day but at least I have something to show for my efforts so far.

Bob and Warren left early Monday morning ending the 43rd year that Bob and I have hunted together at some point. Each fall creates more memories and this one was no different. How many more years will we have to hunt together? Warren is 12 years our senior and gets along just fine and there was an 84-year-old here last week who hunted all week with his son. Although he was not able to walk to and from his duck blind, he was able to sit there and get a few birds when delivered to his blind. Who knows, maybe we have 20 more years of hunting together!

I did get the drone up and took a few pictures of the farm.


The biggest difference for me at least is the missing white house near the center where that semitruck is parked. Here is a picture from 2015 for comparison. 

You can see that there have been a lot of changes since 2015. Chris and Holly got a new house, there are a 1/2 dozen new bins and although it is hard to see on the latest picture, there are the combines, sprayer and tractors. I don't want to brag but, all of these changes have taken place since I have started helping out. I am not going to actually come out and say that I am singly responsible for the growth and success of the farm, I will let the facts and the pictures speak for themselves. 

Tuesday morning, I was up bright and early at 5am and hit the road for home. All was went smoothly for the first hour then a deer runs out in front of me. I tried to avoid it but it ended up slamming into the side of the truck. It hit with such force I knew it was a goner, I could not stop right away but was able to pull off about a ½ mile up and inspect the damage. I could not see any damage on the truck or trailer. How could that possibly be?

I carried on down the road arriving in Rapid City just before noon. Barb knew I was coming home but had no idea where I was, so I called her and talked to her for a bit pretending I was still hours away. She said she was at Walmart shopping, so I went there, found her, snuck up behind her and grabbed her around the waist. She barely jumped as she turned around. Apparently, she is used to strange men grabbing her at Walmart?!?!

We had not seen each other in a month but we kept our reunion appropriate for our environment. Well, we were at Walmart so basically anything goes. I helped her finish her shopping and we went to lunch. We then departed ways so she could finish her other shopping adventures and I went home.

Arriving home, I walked into the garage, and it was filled with boxes. Amazon boxes, it looked like a d#nm Amazon warehouse. There were the boxes from the stools, that I knew about but what were all these other boxes? I felt a couple of them and they were all empty.

I walked into the house anxious to see the dogs. Dakota starts barking at me like I am a stranger. Zoey wants to run up to me but keeps looking back a Dakota to see how she is reacting. I start talking to them and they both run up and start licking and loving me. Such a nice feeling to be home.

After greeting the girls, I walk through the house and started to see new things all around. The side tables at the couch of course. But there were other new things.....

New pictures in the bathroom

New pictures in the bedroom upstairs along with a new bedspread, new duvet, new bed frame….what the heck?!?!

Does anyone recognize this quilt?!?

Back downstairs I see new dish on the counter….


A new wood bowl? Apparently, it is a dough bowl?
New handles on the barn doors...

A new blog book on the counter

Everything looks great actually.

How’s that old saying go? The cats away…and Barb starts buying stuff! As much as I enjoyed my time at the farm, it is soooo good to be home!

Barb got home an hour or so later and walked me around the house showing me everything she had purchased while I was gone. She was quite proud of herself! Meanwhile, the dogs settled in by the fire and were quite content now that the pack was back together.

While unpacking the camper I noticed the front passenger side jack looked a little funny. Then I noticed it was bent and there was deer hair on it.  Well, I guess I know where that deer hit! As it is, I cannot take the camper off the truck, but I guess it is better that it hit there rather than damaging the truck. The jack was actually twisted towards the back, but I spun it around before taking this picture. 

I took off the jack and saw that only the bracket was bent. Whew, I will just go online and buy a new one. Until I saw it was $350! I sure wish I was back up in North Dakota, Farmer Bob can fix anything! I took it over to my neighbor who is a rancher to see if he would have any luck straightening it

So now it is time to unpack and get to working on my project list in the house. It is going to be a busy few weeks!

43 comments:

  1. Glad it was just minor damage after the encounter with the deer! I like the new things Barb bought in your absence. Nicely spruced up the house a lot! I think I would spend a lot of time by that fireplace if we had it in our home and lived in a cold climate! There is that old saying "there is no place like home". I think you have probably said it many a time since your return back home!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do love our home! We have a fire as often as possible in the fall and winter. We had one yesterday but today the house is staying in the 70's with only the sunshine coming through the windows.

      Delete
  2. Great times! I think hunting is not what it used to be. Out of our 4 kids, 1 hunts avidly, the other two once in a while. It was never our daughters thing but all fish. A little sad to see the generational hunting wane. Bard died s great job! You should leave more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, with the passing of each generation there are fewer and fewer hunters. But the past few years have had a record number of hunting licenses sold in most states so maybe there is hope!

      Delete
  3. The farm wouldn't be what it is without you.
    How soon will you be back, there's still work to be done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If only we lived closer, we would be there everyday!

      Delete
  4. My hunting stories would give you nightmares. But I was in the Cold War and I belonged to a group called "The Devil's Huntsmen". Our motto was "One shot, one kill."
    So you can just imagine. Next time you go to the farm, you may want to take your credit cards with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just thinking of you with a loaded firearm gives me nightmares!

      Delete
  5. Thankfully there was only a little damage from that deer. Your house is looking very homey thanks to Barb's shopping :) Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like Barb had so much fun while you were away! But I bet she is happy to have you back home again now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you were single-handedly finishing our cabin, Barb and Diana were in Traverse City, perusing the stores. Kinda like basic training for this shopping spree! Nice thing about Amazon, you can shop in your PJ’s…unlike Walma…uh…never mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just like I am responsible for all the success at The Farm, you would not have finished your cabin without my assistance!

      Delete
  8. That's a lot of years hunting together. Hope you do get another 20+ years. You can tell in your writing how much you enjoy it. No one in our family ever duck hunted but were avid deer hunters and fishermen. My father loved ice fishing. And I love lake perch fresh caught...by someone else.
    Barb did a great job while you were away. Love the three panel photo over the bed. Where did she get it made? That is such a cute photo of the girls:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have great memories ice fishing as well but do not get to do it as much as I'd like. Walleye is our favorite! Barb got that set on Amazon, it was called '3-piece Highland Cow Herd, print on canvas'.

      Delete
  9. Only me and my oldest son hunt. Being successful is the gravy, making new memories with family and friends is the best! My brother in law gave it up and now only eats things that don’t have lips and eyes…(due to health)🤣 You got lucky on that deer strike! Barb did a great job while you were away. Good luck with your hunting at home!
    Colibaba’s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories are what it is all about for me at this point. Filling the freezer is just the bonus from being successful. I wish we were closer to our kids so we could hunt with them and grandkids!

      Delete
  10. Hunting is a way of life, the only difference is now, most people hunt in the grocery stores and fewer people hunt in the fields, streams and woods. It's all still hunting.
    Welcome home, I'm sure Barb and dogs are super excited to see you, just as I'm sure the Farmer and family are super excited about having less equipment to fix now. Amazing how you missed seeing the damage when you looked the first time, of course now you'll have to fix the damage and not Farmer and sons. Haha. Glad you weren't hurt and the truck and camper made it through without any issues. All of Barb's shopping looks wonderful. Good luck with the upcoming deer hunt.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I was up there so Farmer Bob could fix my jack! They are probably going to be bored not having to fix anything that I broke!

      You are right about hunting in the grocery store. People still eat pretty much the same things, it's just how they go about getting it that has changed.

      Delete
  11. Glad you are home safely, especially after the deer hit you.

    Your time at the farm was busy and productive for sure. I enjoyed reading about your hunting expeditions. Hunting is going back to basics as I see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a lot of people get that, but it truly is going back to the basics.

      Delete
  12. So nice to see you out there enjoying your passions...my hubby does alot of talking about hunting, but never actually seems to make it out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's equal parts of spending time outdoors in nature and the actual hunting part. Actually getting anything is really secondary to the whole experience.

      Delete
  13. Well I suppose that's one way to get your deer for the season. Maybe you can try that with your ducks. I have always loved hunting, no matter the early hours, the cold or the wet. I think there's still a lot of it going on, people just don't advertise it so they don't get railed about killing something. Um yeah I think I've seen that quilt before! LOVE the pictures Barb has put up, and hey, those Amazon boxes come in handy all the time!!!!! Enjoy the pup loves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not I have hit a duck with our jeep! You might be right about the hunter numbers. It just sad people need to hide their opinions and passions.

      Delete
  14. Love the sun setting picture! Barb has great taste, I love it all! Your rant was right on! Wow 43years! That's a friendship :) The farm is amazing, but I can see why you would miss the white house :( You had us cracking up with the Walmart story! Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob and I met in highschool and have been hunting together ever since! The funniest thing about the Walmart story is that it is true!

      Delete
  15. Glad you arrived home safely and are enjoying Barb's decor additions. Like you, Les and I never let our opinions interfere with friendships or relationships. And there are issues both sides of the aisle can actually agree upon, but MSM gives them no attention. Unfortunately, divide and conquer has been successful since the beginning of time. Enjoy your hunting and getting back to home projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has gotten to the point where the news is so frustrating as it is obvious what they are trying to do. Then I talk to someone who eats up the sensationalism and take it for gospel and realize that not everyone feels the same way I do.

      Delete
  16. "Attention Walmart Shoppers, in Isle 12 there are a couple of love birds ..."

    Love your take on the "60%" of the population, agree wholeheartedly.

    One of these days I will need to post "Indy's" reaction when I come home, or when Marcia comes out of Bible Study at the church...it is as "if" we have been gone a month! Squeals, yaps, barks all at once. Glad you made it home safely despite the killing of that poor dear that was just trying to cross the highway. (lol) I hit a dear in a Chevy Lumina Van, killed the deer, totaled the van, but the dear literally moved me over from the right lane across the left lane to shoulder on a divided highway! It was the library's van, and I was glad to be done with it, worse vehicle I ever had to drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs act that way when Barb is gone for a hour or two. Me? I'm gone for weeks and they could care less.

      Delete
  17. I completely agree with your comments about polarization. We often notice that we get along with lots of people who have very different political beliefs than us because we actually hang out with them. The problem, in addition to the click-driven news you mentioned is the prevalence of social media. It's easy to hate someone from behind a computer screen. It's nearly impossible from across a table.

    Anyway, glad you got home safe and sound. The house looks great. Barb is a total pro!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't that the truth! Masking themselves behind their computer seems to give a lot of people courage.

      Delete
  18. i never talk to anyone about politics, religion, vaccines, or any medical condition i may have. medically, it is always such a long discussion, i never talk and they always win!!! i must say, that was a sweet homecoming in walmart and it is my opinion that anything goes in walmart.

    i enjoyed your bragging about the farm...the house looks great, i am a little surprised that you called the bed covering a duvet. i make blog books, i may have as many as 25!!!

    i'm sure barb is happy to have you home and typing with one hand sucks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably would not have called it a duvet myself but that is what Barb called it so I too. We kept it P.G. at the Walmart but you are right, pretty much anything goes!

      Delete
  19. There is no place like home! And what nice surprises you had…love all the new art pieces. I love the WalMart story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did a great job picking out everything, the place looks very fall-like!

      Delete
  20. haha I love Barb's shopping spree. She made some good purchases. Sweet how you surprised her in Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, truth be told, I knew if I surprised her at that time we could go to our favorite sushi restaurant!

      Delete
  21. I've never hunted myself but our hunting friends over the years have made sure I've enjoyed the "fruits" of their labor - and pheasant is my very favorite! Wish those darn deer would look both ways when they cross :-( Hope the jack is a quick fix. You're lucky Barb didn't smack you with a can of beans when you surprised her! All her updates are wonderful - I agree you should leave her on her own regularly :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pheasant is on the menu this weekend! If those deer would just cross at the deer crossing signs like they are supposed to there would be a lot fewer accidents!

      Delete